Tuesday, May 29, 2012

MiTube: Going out on a limb

Flirty above the knee dress + windy escalator tunnel = marilyn 2.0.

Thankfully I opted for decent undergarments! Tres embarassing.

I can see a lot of legs today.. A great symptom of summer. We're all trying to hang cling to a pole like an awkward first attempt at stripping as the train makes awkward breaking movements. I think we feel the same way about what we're wearing- a little awkward and too accustomed to winter coverage. Its been months since we revealed any leg and mine are still tingling from my emergency shave this morning. There are many things you shouldn't rush and shaving is definitely one of them. But we have to make the most of whatever sunshine we can get in this town. When I was sun worshipping on the terrace of my office yesterday some of my friends exclaimed that there is so much pressure to be out of doors when the sun comes out. I feel the same pressure for my legs to come out because the opportunity is so rare. And judging by the air of self consciousness in this tube, so are half the women. Of course no man is showing his legs. They're just standing inbetween the forest of bare legs with their covered uniform and it makes me wonder if I'm luckier or under more social pressure to preen, shave, show and be sexy. Or as women perhaps we can just get away with more in this heat. As 5 petite hands cling to this pole in the middle of our carriage, I think this strip show is that of choice. I don't know if Marilyn did much for the feminist movement, I don't know if the feminist movement did much for the feminist movement... But what I do know is that this morning my limbs had options and that's more than I can say for any businessman on this bare leg of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment