Friday, June 1, 2012

Mitube: An underground drizzle

The one perk of being late for work is getting a seat on the train, the rush is over and the mood is generally good. Its friday after all. Mood indicators to verify this range from smiley starbux drinking couple, people allowing eachother to pass, people laughing at the pages of the books they're reading. Its all quite pleasant. Like the lemon drizzle I baked at 1 am last night/this morning. Its sitting on my lap and it looks gorgeous, sponge overflowing the edges of the tin, sugary frosty goodness... I can smell the lemon zest through the container. Its all in aid of charity, our charity committee supports a great school in the community. The woman in front of me has the most insanely perfect eyebrows, definitely pencilled. Ah sunshine yellow dress wearing blonde smiley starbux sipping woman just sat next to me and she smells lovely. Kissing her boyfriend goodbye at his stop she sat down and I can tell she's still smiling long after he's gone. So with my lemon drizzle on the lap and my yellow dress friend we're starting to develop a little theme and its making me feel very summery. And I know I'm prone to motivational quips and so I'm seriously going to avoid a 'life hands you lemons' adege. BUT. I found baking the lemon drizzle very therapeutic. So. Mix 225g of caster sugar with 225g of unsalted butter with a beater till its pale and creamy. Slowly add 4 eggs (1 at a time) and stir into the mixture with a spoon. Sieve in 225 g of self raising flour. Add the grated rind of 2 lemons. mix for approx 1 minute until all ingredients are combined. Bake at 180 degrees celcius (160 fan assisted) for  50 minutes or a skewer comes out clean. While its cooling squeeze 2 med lemons and add 85 g of caster sugar, poke the drizzle all over (couldn't think of proper baking terminology for that) and poor the mixture over the cake. Allow to cool. This is amazing, moist and very zesty/tarty. So considering we're expecting rain this jubilee, when life hands you rain make a drizzle. Haaaa.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment